Monday, March 22, 2010

Pancakes

Its been almost a year since the next set of events occurred.  Ihop and Denny’s where having a pancake day to raise money for charity.  If you came in on a certain day, during specific hours, each person could get a short stack of pancakes for free.  You could donate money and the restaurants would give it to save children with cancer or something like that.  It had been advertised well and I really wanted a free stack of flapjacks.
A few days before The Great Pancake Day, I was trying to convince Ben to go with me, cause I didn’t want to go by myself, looking like some kind of creeper.
“Oh my God, I love pancakes!” startled me from behind.  I turned around to face this conversation-interrupting ninja, and come face-to-face with Ash.  She was sneakier than I thought.
“Oh my God, you should come with us!”
My snarky, sarcastic humor was right up her alley, cause she smiled and told me to shut up.  I told her I was serious, our inane testing and games of highly competitive speed giving me confidence.  We where going after a basketball game, Brandon still went to a lot of his High School’s games, to the one at Denny’s.  it was the one on Friday, Ihop’s was the day before.  She had swim that day and the next, and shad she might be able to go, depending on how late the game went.
Ben was pretty quiet through all of our planning.  I don’t think he was as fond of Ash as I was.  She might have been a little too weird for him; she liked to call him Fagol, and I don’t remember why.
Friday nigh came quickly.  The game was forgettable the only thing I remember was Brandon’s high school won.  What I do remember, though, is the drive to the Denny’s after.  Ash and I were texting back and forth, trying to figure out how this was going to work.  We were making a little progress when it all go shot to hell.  Her dad had shut it down.  It was too late, she had practice the next day, and I was some guy he had never met, taking his daughter to a different city for some free brinner.  I would probably be hesitant too if I was in his place.
So it just ended up being Ben, a couple of other friends and myself.  Dang, major fail.

No comments:

Post a Comment